Once Koukourava was a large semi-mountainous village. Now it is part of the south community of Makrinitsa panorama icon at an altitude of 300m situated next to the Mega Rema River. It has all the characteristics of a typical Pelion village, wonderful views across the valley of Volos and with verdant natural landscapes of Pelion. It is located just 4k from the centre of Volos. panorama icon

There are plenty of stone fountains, springs, watermills, an old leather factory, old mansions that date between 18th and 19th century, arches, old bridges, and many old dristeles (the washing machine of nature, or basically a large nozzle connected to the spring which clean using the water pressure) and cobbled streets. The central cobbled footpath that finishes in the square of Makrinitsa starts here and has enchanting views for the majority of it, which runs for 4.8 km with variants in altitude of 340m, and is in excellent condition. It is quite awe inspiring to see how the traditional Pelion architecture has been maintained throughout the years to such a high standard. A couple of great example is the the old mansion of Vaitzi (1761) and the tower of Skoteinoti.

One of the many advantages of the communities of Koukourava and Makrinitsa is the wide choice of accommodation available. Wonderfully restored guesthouses and many of the classic mansions now converted in to rented rooms!

Koukouvava is an ideal destination for visitors who wish to be close to nature, but also to civilization! Within a distance of 20km you will find the ski center, Agriolefkes, at Hania. panorama icon
Makrinitsa is just 10km away via Koukouva and 17km via Portaria.panorama icon

Koukourava (the name is probably Slavic) was founded during the Turkish occupation in the mountains at a height of 450m, above Lake Karla with an impressive stone built footpath, which until today, is kept in perfect condition.

The old village of Koukourava was abandoned for the first time during the period of the civil war when its residents settled in Larissa living in shacks for approximately three years until they could return in 1950. Once back in their village the majority of inhabitants built up the houses that were burnt and continued to live their lives in the village. However, a couple of families decided to build their homes in the cobbled area of ‘Kalyvia’ (today known as lower Amygdali). This area was later abandoned due to the lack of connecting roads linking these small communities though this was finally rectified by 1972.

The Koukouravites during those years’ cultivated small areas to grow vines and almonds, they also dealt in silk production, livestock and logging, and many fished in Lake Karla. After the lake dried up they were forced to turn their efforts to such things as growing cotton.

The church of St Mary Magdalene belongs to Koukourava. The temple of which is a bassilica with a dome and was previously named Agios Georgios. As there was already a church in the village with the same name that celebrated its festival day on the 23rd April, the villagers decided to celebrate the church on the 22nd July, the feast day of St. Mary Magdalene.

As mentioned in the diary ‘Fame’ by the mon Zozimas Esphimmenitou in the year 1887, in order to commemorate the saint who celebrated that day they brought her icon to the church. When the liturgy ended the next day they wanted to return the icon but it was impossible to move it and the villagers considered this a miracle so they renamed the church St. Mary Magdalene.


© 2019 www.zoominpelion.com All Rights Reserved. | designed by square design studio

Search